Re: Universal Periodic Review of Human Rights in the
Dear Honorable Secretary of State Hillary Clinton:
Please accept these comments from Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) concerning the Universal Periodic Review of human rights in the
The D.C. Office of Human Rights refused to extend the District’s sexual orientation non-discrimination law to former homosexuals, therefore making ex-gays the only group of people denied public accommodations in the Nation’s Capitol.
Nonetheless, at the behest of gay organizations, Washington D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty apologized for issuing a certificate of appreciation to the
Many ex-gays are afraid to come out of the closet because of the harassment they will receive. Ex-gays and their supporters should not have to be closeted for fear of other’s negative reactions or disapproval. They do not think something is wrong with them because they decided to fulfill their heterosexual potential. Nor do they believe others should condemn them for the personal decision they have made for their lives.
Due to media indifference, many Americans are unaware of the widespread intolerance practiced against those who leave homosexuality:
· Unlike gay groups, ex-gay groups like
· Transgenders and cross-dressers are affirmed for changing their gender but former homosexuals are ridiculed for making the decision to change their sexual orientation.
· Ex-gay conferences and seminars across the country are frequently picketed by anti-ex-gay protestors.
· Presidential candidate Barack Obama was criticized by gay activists for allowing ex-gay gospel singer Donnie McClurkin to sing at a fundraiser. They insisted that Obama drop the African-American singer from the program. No other singers received this treatment.
· An ex-gay volunteer staffing
The list is endless because intolerance against the ex-gay community occurs continually. This irrational phobia of those who have overcome unwanted same-sex attractions perpetuates misunderstanding and harm against the ex-gay community. It also demonstrates a disregard for diversity and a refusal to respect a basic human right to dignity and self-determination.
Please include the ex-gay community in your report to the United Nations. No report on human rights in the
Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays