Monday, April 30, 2012

Martin Luther King and Homosexuality

Everyone,

 

I came across this commentary by Rev. Dr. Clenard H. Childress, Jr. on how Martin Luther King would react to the moral issues of today.  He quoted Dr. King's views on homosexuality from a series of monthly columns in Ebony magazine running from 1957-1958.

 

Below is an exchange between a young Black man struggling with homosexuality (QUESTION) and Dr. King (MLK)

 

 

QUESTION: My problem is different from the ones most people have. I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do?

 

MLK: Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired... You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.

 

http://www.blacknews.com/news/homosexuality_abortion_martin_luther_king101.shtml

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment