Thursday, October 25, 2012

Against or For? Because of love


Regeneration
 

 

Against or For? 

by Josh Glaser    

 

It seems it's difficult these days to say anything challenging gay marriage without being looked at as a bigot, a religious zealot, or a hater. In response, many have gotten quiet.

 

But I can't. Not so much because I'm opposed to gay marriage (though I am), but because I love homosexual men and women.

 

For the past 15 years, I've had the privilege of meeting and walking alongside hundreds of men and women who, due to no fault of their own, discovered early in life that they were attracted to the same gender rather than the other gender. For most of them, this discovery came with a great deal of anxiety, fear of rejection, and shame.

 

My heart is for these friends. I want what's best for them, just as I want what's best for everyone.

 

This is why I am opposed to gay marriage.

 

Gay marriage holds out hopes for a better life for my friends: hope to be treated as an equal to everyone else, hope they won't have to live a lone and lonely life, hope they can have a loving family of their own, and so much more.

 

As one who loves them, I want these things for them, too, and so much more. Jesus has what they're after. But same-sex marriage will not deliver on its promises. It will take more than it will give. Not so with Jesus, he will give more than he takes, even when it seems the cost of obedience to him is far too high.

 

I'll unpack this in other blogs elsewhere, but for now let me stand as one voice standing unequivocally for love and against same-sex marriage.

 

What do you think? Do you believe it's possible to stand against gay marriage in a posture of love? How do you do this? If you are for gay marriage, what do you think of the idea that others may oppose your view out of love for homosexual men and women? Click here to leave a comment.

 

For people,
Josh

 

Josh Glaser

Executive Director
Regeneration

www.RegenerationMinistries.org

 
  
October 25, 2012
 

  


 

 


Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness
.
 

- Mother Theresa

 

 

Previous:

  

A Change in Orientation

 

You Can Change (and You're a Rubik's Cube)

 

How to Stop Lusting in One Step

Welcome to Regeneration
Regeneration serves those in the Greater Baltimore and Northern Virginia areas. Please visit us online at www.RegenerationMinistries.org to learn more.

Regeneration
P.O. Box 9830
Baltimore, MD 21284

Regeneration
P.O. Box 1034
Fairfax, VA 22038 

No comments:

Post a Comment