Sunday, December 9, 2012

Fwd: FYI:Pub.Advocate Bill de Blasio married to woman who was out and proud in 1970's


Public Advocate Bill de Blasio married to woman who was out and proud in the 1970s

Chirlane McCray penned a seven-page article for Essence magazine in 1979 titled 'I Am a Lesbian' that detailed her emotional path to coming out as a gay woman.

   	Bill DeBlasio with his wife at the start of the West INdian day parade. Eastern Pkwy. & Rochester Ave.

Egan-Chin,Debbie New York Daily

Public Advocate Bill de Blasio with wife Chirlane McCray.

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn won't be the only mayoral hopeful who can make a personal appeal to gay voters next year.

While Quinn is running a historic campaign to become the city's first lesbian mayor, Public Advocate Bill de Blasio is married to a woman who was out and proud in the 1970s.

De Blasio's wife, Chirlane McCray, penned a seven-page article for Essence magazine in 1979 titled "I Am a Lesbian" that detailed her emotional path to coming out as a gay woman.

"I survived the tears, the isolation and the feeling that something was terribly wrong with me for loving another woman," McCray wrote at the time. "Coming to terms with my life as a lesbian has been easier for me than it has been for many. Since I don't look or dress like the typical bulldagger, I have a choice as to whether my sexual preference is known."

After the article surfaced Thursday on the Politicker website, de Blasio's campaign released a statement from McCray.

"In the 1970s, I identified as a lesbian, and wrote about it," she said. "In 1991, I met the love of my life, married him, and together we've raised two amazing kids. I'm reminded every day how lucky I am to have met my soulmate."

During his successful 2009 campaign for public advocate, de Blasio was accused by some of pandering to black voters by featuring McCray — who is black — in his advertising.

McCray and de Blasio have been staunch supporters of gay marriage but have not publicly discussed her past sexual orientation since he began running for office.

Essence described McCray at the time as a 24-year-old "free-lance writer." She wrote that she was "fortunate because I discovered my preference for women early, before getting locked into a traditional marriage and having children."

tmoore@nydailynews.com

Post a Comment »


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bill-de-blasio-married-woman-proud-1970s-article-1.1214329#ixzz2EUeD1aPJ

No comments:

Post a Comment