Friday, March 22, 2013

Ex-Gay Library Exhibit

In October of 2012 I went to my local library to do some research.  When I got to the second floor, I noticed there was a rather large display table sponsored by the homosexual group PFLAG.  This is not the first time it has been there, but the first time I have seen it.  My heart was saddened to think that only one side of this important issue of sexual orientation was presented. 

I also took exception to the library promoting this and decided to give the head librarian an email of concern.  She responded quickly with the rules of the ALA ( American Library Association) which states that groups can put displays in the library as long as they do not sell things and do not engage in defamation.  It was then clear that having the display removed was not something she would consider, so I pressed the matter further by asking if I could put up a display offering another view.  While waiting for her response, my family, friends and I prayed that her heart would be soft to our request. 

To our great joy, her reply was yes.  That's when I put in a quick email to Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) for assistance in the endeavor.  What a great group!!!!!  They gave me helpful ideas, brochures and other handout to place on the exhibit table, a wonderful web site to go to for great information to share, and I was in communication with super sweet folks.  What a wonderful support network. 

Our ex-gay library display was put up on January 3rd of 2013 and was up for the full month.  Most of our literature was taken and many were blessed to see another view displayed for all to see.  I kept my display board and hope to do this as a yearly endeavor.  Why not? I wouldn't mind even expanding to some local fairs this summer.  We must get the word out about the ex-gay community.  What a freeing message that we have to share.  Let's get out there and do it! 

Free in Christ,
G. Rope

PFOX NOTE:  Is your workplace, library, college or public school holding a gay pride/diversity/tolerance exhibit, event or training? If so, please request that they also include an ex-gay speaker or hold an ex-gay event! At a time when former homosexuals are facing increasing intolerance, ex-gay presentations are more important than ever for others to recognize and appreciate the ex-gay community.  Equal access to public facilities by ex-gays supports sexual orientation diversity and tolerance. Ask your library, workplace, college, or public school to sponsor an ex-gay event or speaker today! PFOX (Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays) will help you by providing speakers and informative handouts for the ex-gay event. Contact PFOX at

No comments:

Post a Comment