Thursday, August 8, 2013

Open Your Eyes

This is a song lyric to honor the brave and inspiring ex-gay men and women who rallied in front of the Supreme Court during Ex-Gay Pride Month to ask for equality and justice for those in the ex-gay community:  

 

Open Your Eyes

 

You stood tall up there, your heart on the line

Mine was beating for you, as I raised up your sign

You held your head high, you kept back your tears

Mine were falling for you, because I knew your fear

 

The promise of justice opened its door

On those steps of the land's highest court

 

CHORUS

Ladies and Gentlemen, he cried

Please lend me your support

Many years ago, I almost died

Believing the lie that I could never change

The winding way brought me so much pain

But today I rise

There's nothing that can't be done

When our souls are free

I beg you, open your mind

Till you'll have eyes to see

Others needing help just like me 

Open your eyes

 

BRIDGE

He told that crowd he'd once been gay

He said he wasn't born that way

 

Some spectators glared, fists ready to fight

Mine were clenched as well, but you did what was right

You asked them to stand, palms toward the sky

Mine were sweating for you, as truth started to rise

 

The promise of justice opened its door

On the steps of the land's highest court

 

CHORUS

Ladies and Gentlemen, he cried

Please lend me your support

Many years ago, I almost died

Believing the lie that I could never change

The winding way brought me so much pain

But today I rise

There's nothing that can't be done

When our souls are free

I beg you, open your mind

Till you'll have eyes to see

Others needing help just like me 

Open your eyes

 

(c) 2013, Lisa Gundling

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment