Friday, April 25, 2014

Articles: The True Legacy of Matthew Shepard

Articles: The True Legacy of Matthew Shepard

The True Legacy of Matthew Shepard

It has been almost 15 years since Matthew Shepard was murdered.  I was in high school and I still remember the unnerving awareness that being gay was now linked directly with being a victim. Leaving for school I tensed up at every glance or smirk I saw on my fellow classmates' faces. When I wanted to take a boy to the prom that year my dad demanded: "Do you want to be the next Matthew Shepard!?"But all of it was a lie.  The story was a lie.  My fear was based on a lie.  Yet the Matthew Shepard Foundation reports revenue upwards of $900,000 in 2013.  The Facebook page for the NO H8 Campaign posted a remembrance photo stating that the Matthew Shepard Foundation's mission is to "replace hate with understanding, compassion and acceptance."   The foundation simply dismisses the evidence provided by gay journalist Stephen Jimenez in his book: The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew Shepard as offensive and apparently has merely continued on as if the revelation of truth never existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment